Sunday, March 13, 2011

I Love the 80's, or at Least the Music Videos.

Anyone who made it through Episode 5, "Never Let Me Go/ Music Video Favorites", knows I love music videos and consider them an art form. Here are two videos that did not make my list, but I want people to view and comment on.

This is the classic "film within a film", only it's a video within a video. This clip was shot and released in 1981, at the dawn of MTV and is directed by Steve Barron. The director was heavily influnced by Truffaut's Day for Night (1974), an extraordinary examination of the filmmaking process.

Human League - Don't You Want Me by jpdc11

If you can explain this video to me, you are an extraordinary thinker. Although, one reason I love the clip is its ambiguity, as well as its exceptional black and white cinematography. The video was shot, cut and directed by Ian Eames and was inspired by Helmut Newton's photgraphy and Liliana Cavani's The Night Porter (1974).

Duran Duran - The Chauffeur [uncensored] from mm1 on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment